Midway-Hardwick in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
John Rutherford House
on Beckham's Mount
by Daniel Pratt, architect
Moved to this location in 1859
by Robert C. Smith
Placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
by the U.S. Department of the Interior,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1824.
Location. 33° 3.332′ N, 83° 14.453′ W. Marker is in Midway-Hardwick, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is on Allen Memorial Drive Southwest west of Harrisburg Road Southwest, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 345 Allen Memorial Dr SW, Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Oglethorpe University (approx. 0.3 miles away); Summer Home (of) Governor Herschel V. Johnson (approx. half a mile away); Cornerstone/Auditorium Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Milledgeville State Hospital (approx. 1.1 miles away); Powell Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Green Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Walker Building (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Methodist Church (approx. 1½ miles away).
Regarding John Rutherford House. Excerpt from the National Register nomination for the house, also called the Grantland-Stevenson House:
It is thought that the Grantland-Stevenson House was constructed on Beckham's Mount in 1824 for Col. John Rutherford. Daniel Pratt is attributed as being the architect-builder. Col. Rutherford resided on his plantation until his death in 1833. It was purchased in 1853 by Robert C. Smith who was responsible for moving the house from its original site. Based on Oglethorpe University records this move occurred in 1859. Smith was a planter, minister, and Professor at Oglethorpe University.
Also see . . . John Rutherford House (PDF). National Register nomination submitted for the house, which was listed in 1978. (National Archives) (Submitted on May 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.