Twin City in Emanuel County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 32° 34.982′ N, 82° 9.012′ W. Marker is in Twin City, Georgia, in Emanuel County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Avenue and North College Street, on the right when traveling north on 1st Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 133 1st Ave, Twin City GA 30471, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Durden-Brinson-Brewer House (approx. 4.4 miles away); Old Sunbury Road (approx. 9.7 miles away); The Crossroads of the Great South (approx. 10.8 miles away); Emanuel County Patriot Park (approx. 10.8 miles away); Home of George Leon Smith, II (approx. 10.8 miles away); Swainsboro Georgia Veterans Memorial (approx. 10.8 miles away); Emanuel County (approx. 10.8 miles away); Swainsboro 9/11 Memorial (approx. 11.3 miles away).
Regarding Barwick-Dudley House.
… Dr. George W. Davis, a graduate of Southern Medical College and one of three dentists in the Summit-Graymont area, bought the house from his brother-in-law Robert Barwick in 1902. George and his wife Emma Davis were living in the house with their two children at the time of the 1900 U.S. Census and it appears that the house was built for them rather than the Barwicks, who were living in Thomas County. The house remained in the Davis family after Emma’s death in 1912 and George’s death in 1923, and in 1928, the house was sold to Claude Mallory Proctor and his wife Pearl. Claude Proctor had a long career in the postal service, starting out as a rural carrier in 1905, becoming clerk for the Summit post office in 1919, and postmaster from 1922 to 1952. Although incorporated as Twin City in 1921, Summit and Graymont maintained separate post offices until 1952 when Claude Proctor became postmaster of Twin City and the Graymont postmistress Mrs. Lessie Gray became assistant postmaster.
The Davis-Proctor House is significant in the area of architecture as an excellent and intact example of a c.1890 Folk Victorian-style Georgian Cottage. …
Also see . . . Davis-Proctor House (PDF). National Register nomination submitted under the house's original name. It was listed in 2010. (National Archives) (Submitted on May 14, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 14, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.