Scranton in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Illinois Central #790
For many years, this engine saw hard service on the Illinois Central, hauling freight trains through Tennessee. In 1918, #790 was overhauled and modernized with a superheater. It continued to work until it was retired to storage in the 1950s.
Erected by Steamtown Nataionl Historic Site - National Park Service.
Location. 41° 24.459′ N, 75° 40.321′ W. Marker is in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker is on Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east. Located between the entrance and the roundhouse at Steamtown National Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scranton PA 18503, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. CNJ #5 Steam Derrick (a few steps from this marker); Steamtown (within shouting distance of this marker); Oil House Foundation (within shouting distance of this marker); Tank Car (within shouting distance of this Oil House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Oil House (within shouting distance of this marker); 1902 Roundhouse Office (within shouting distance of this marker); 1865 Inspection Pit (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scranton.
More about this marker. To the right of the text is a Diagram of an earlier Consolidated freight engine built by Rogers Locomotive Company and Machine Works for the Illinois Central. This engine, along with #790, worked south of the Ohio River hauling freight across steep grades. Across the bottom of the marker is a photo of #790.
Also see . . . Illinois Central #790. (PDF) Additional details about the locomotive from the Park Service site. (Submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for Illinois Central #790.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 785 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.