Scranton in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Reading Northerns were heavy-duty freight locomotives assigned most often to coal traffic. Their wide fire-boxes burned culm, a wast product of anthracite coal. Together, the engine and tender weighed 405 tons and easily pulled 150 loaded coal hoppers.
Retired from freight service in 1956, #2124 was rescued from the scrap heap. During the early 1960s, at a time when steam had all but disappeared from America's railroads, #2424 pulled Reading trains filled with steam enthusiasts on the famous "Reading Rambles."
Erected by Steamtown Nataionl Historic Site - National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1947.
Location. 41° 24.501′ N, 75° 40.407′ W. Marker is in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker is on Mechanic Street, on the left when traveling east. Located Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scranton PA 18503, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rahway Valley #15 (here, next to this marker); Grand Trunk Western #6039 (within shouting distance of this marker); Steamtown (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Pacific #4012 (about 500 feet away); Illinois Central #790 (about 500 feet away); Oil House Foundation (about 500 feet away); CNJ #5 Steam Derrick (about 500 feet away); Canadian National Railways #47 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scranton.
Also see . . . Reading #2124. (PDF) Additional details from the Park Service site. (Submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 771 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.