Muncy in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Muncy's Post Office
A post office was established at Muncy, April 1, 1800. Henry Shoemaker was postmaster.
Muncy's current Post Office, built by the WPA (Works Progress Administration) during the Great Depression, was completed in 1938. The lobby contains ceramic art and a mural depicting the epic ride of Rachel Silverthorne.
History records Silverthorne riding off to warn the frontier settlers of an impending attack by the British and their allies during the "Great Runaway."
The original Eagle Hotel, dating to the early 1800s, was across the street. In 1826, the new brick "Eagle Hotel" was built next door. This hotel carried a number of names including Temperance House, Washington Hotel, Coder's Hotel and Muncy Valley House. In 1920, it became Muncy's YWCA.
On the northwest corner of Main and High streets is what was once described as the most beautiful building in Pennsylvania. Built in 1874 the 'Italianate Stucco' structure with eyebrow windows was home to the Lycoming County Fire Insurance Co., established in 1840. It failed when it was unable to pay insured losses following the Chicago fire of 1871 and the Great
The Muncy School District used the building from 1908 until 1936 and then it was converted into apartments - named "Penn Hall." In 1986 Muncy Borough purchased the building, leading to the founding of The Penn Hall Preservation Corporation that took on the restoration of one of Muncy's finest landmarks.
[Photo captions, left to right, read]
This photo of the Muncy Post Office and postal employees, circa 1920. From left are Lester Sedam, Bill Gowers and Brady Snyder. The post office was located on the corner of Plum Alley and Main Street.
Several of these buildings were razed to make room for the new post office.
Educational Hall, Muncy Pa. [vintage postcard]
[Post office mural of Silverthorne's Ride]
[Special envelope cachet for new Post Office dedication]
Erected by Muncy Historical Society and Museum of History, PA DCNR, Susquehanna Greenway, et al.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is April 1, 1800.
Location. 41° 12.227′ N, 76° 47.159′ W. Marker is in Muncy, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and High Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Muncy Normal School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Muncy Woolen Mill (about 600 feet away); Main and Water Streets (about 700 feet away); Riebsam House (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The McCartys and the Muncy Historical Society (approx. ¼ mile away); Muncy (approx. ¼ mile away); Civil War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Muncy.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2022, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2022, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.