Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cornwall in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
 

Cornwall's Historic Waterfront

Swing Bridge b/ Pont Tournant

 
 
Cornwall's Historic Waterfront Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Robert Rusaw, April 30, 2022
1. Cornwall's Historic Waterfront Marker
Inscription.   THE SWING-BRIDGE
A pedestrian swing-bridge was erected in 1843 to supplement a culvert, providing direct access to the riverside wharf built in 1844. As you can see, much of present day Lamoureux Park is landfill.

THE CORNWALL CANAL from Sydney Street to the Roosevelt International Bridge, 1950s. The Cornwall Street Railway yards, now occupied by the Cornwall Square

CORNWALL THE FACTORY TOWN
Employing as many as 2,500 construction workers, the Cornwall Canal was dug between 1834 and 1842. Soon after opening, water privileges were auctioned to the highest bidder, allowing three grist (flour) mills, a sawmill and a brewery to be built on the south bank of the canal by 1850. In 1878, the "Canadian Illustrated News” wrote "At the Canal Bridge, gh above the steamboat landing, are the Woollen, Grist, Flouring and Sawmills owned by Mr. Andrew Hodge."

The Toronto "Globe” reported in 1893 that the surplus waterpower from the Canal allowed the building of the "immense factories,” which "directly and indirectly...are the foundation upon which the era of prosperity has started."

CANADA
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
STEAMSHIP LINES, WAREHOUSE, 1914-1958.
Ten days after the closing of the Cornwall Canal, Canada Steamship Lines employee Vane Silmser locked-up the company's two warehouses at the Cornwall Wharf for the last time on July 10, 1958.

The bridge turned on a central axis to allow ships to pass through the canal. A laker is pictured here on its way to Montreal. The Stormont Mill is on the left and St. Lawrence Breweries Ltd., on the right.

(French captions not transcribed)

CORNWALL, LA VILLE INDUSTRIELLE

Le canal de Cornwall fut ereusé entre 1834 et 1842, employant autant que 2 500 travailleurs. Peu après l'ouverture du canal, les droits à l'eau furent verdus aux enchères. Avant 1850, trois minoteries, une scierie et une brasserie furent construites sur le bord sud du canal.

En 1878, Canadian Illustrated News écrivit qu'«au pont du canal, bien au-dessus du quai dés bateaux de vapeurs se trouve le lainier, la minoterie et la scierie dont M. Andrew Hodge est le propriétaire».

En 1893, le Globe de Toronto signala que l'époque de la pleine prospérité fut grâce à l'énergie hydraulice de surplus du canal qui permit la construction de ces immenses usines.

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is July 10, 1958.
 
Location.
Cornwall's Historic Waterfront Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Robert Rusaw, April 30, 2022
2. Cornwall's Historic Waterfront Marker
45° 0.868′ N, 74° 43.72′ W. Marker is in Cornwall, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties. This marker is located in Lamaroux Park. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cornwall & S.D.G. 1784-2009 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cornwall Canal / Le canal de Cornwall (within shouting distance of this marker); Cornwall Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); The Founding of Cornwall (within shouting distance of this marker); John Baker (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); District Court-House and Gaol 1833 (about 120 meters away); United Counties of Stormont Dundas and Glengarry (about 150 meters away); Ivy Hall (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cornwall.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2022, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2022, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201476

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 29, 2024