Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Raphael's in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
 

The Glengarry Emigration of 1786

 
 
The Glengarry Emigration of 1786 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Robert Rusaw, July 4, 2022
1. The Glengarry Emigration of 1786 Marker
Inscription.  Early in September, 1786, a group of some 500 Scottish Highlanders, the majority of whom were Macdonells, arrived at Quebec. They were led by their parish priest from Knoydart, Glengarry, the Reverend Alexander MacDonell (Scotus). Forced to emigrate because of the depressed economic condition of the Highlands, they had been encouraged to come to Canada and settle among their fellow countrymen in what is now Glengarry County. Despite initial hardships most of these Scottish pioneers settled successfully in this region, where their loyalty and military prowess were frequently demonstrated. Father MacDonell founded the parish of St. Raphael, one of the province's earliest Roman Catholic congregations. Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
 
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Ontario Heritage Foundation series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1786.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
45° 12.726′ N, 74° 35.826′ W. Marker is in St. Raphael's, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties. Marker is on County Highway 18, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 21 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Raphaels' Ruins (a few steps from this marker); Bishop Alexander Macdonell (a few steps from this marker); The Parish of St. Raphael (within shouting distance of this marker); The Blue Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); The College of Iona / Le College d'Iona (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); "Cariboo" Cameron (approx. 17.5 kilometers away); Lieutenant-Colonel John Macdonell (approx. 19.3 kilometers away); Captain Miles Macdonell (approx. 20.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Raphael's.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2022, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 8, 2022, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of the marker in context • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201618

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024