Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Raphael's in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
 

The Parish of St. Raphael

 
 
The Parish of St. Raphael Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Robert Rusaw, July 4, 2022
1. The Parish of St. Raphael Marker
Inscription.  A mission for the Roman Catholic Highlanders of the Raisin River settlement was begun in 1786 by the Reverend Alexander Macdonell (Scotus) and later a small frame church, called the "Blue Chapel", was built. St. Raphael's parish was officially recognized in 1802. The existing stone church, a fine example of Canadian Neo-Classic design, was begun in 1821 by the Most Reverend Alexander Macdonell, who had been appointed to St. Raphael's in 1804, made Vicar General of Upper Canada in 1807, and consecrated Bishop of Rhesina in 1820. From 1807 to 1826 when Macdonell became Bishop of Regiopolis (Kingston), St. Raphael's was the administrative centre of the Church in Upper Canada.
 
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Ontario Heritage Foundation series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1802.
 
Location. 45° 12.712′ N, 74° 35.811′ W. Marker is
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in St. Raphael's, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 18 and Frog Hollow Road, on the right when traveling east on County Road 18. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19998 County Rd 18, St Raphael's ON K0C 2J0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 21 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Blue Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Glengarry Emigration of 1786 (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Raphaels' Ruins (within shouting distance of this marker); Bishop Alexander Macdonell (within shouting distance of this marker); The College of Iona / Le College d'Iona (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); "Cariboo" Cameron (approx. 17.5 kilometers away); Lieutenant-Colonel John Macdonell (approx. 19.3 kilometers away); Captain Miles Macdonell (approx. 20.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Raphael's.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2022, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 8, 2022, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of the marker showing its surroundings • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201619

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024