Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Raphael's in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
 

The Blue Chapel

 
 
The Blue Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Robert Rusaw, July 4, 2022
1. The Blue Chapel Marker
Inscription.  On this site stood the Blue Chapel. The Blue Chapel, so named because of the painted blue ceiling, was the first church of St. Raphael's Parish. It was a sturdy little building of weathered logs.

The chapel was built in 1789 by Father Alexander Macdonell (Scotus).

Father Macdonell emigrated in 1786 from the north of Scotland with the majority of his parishioners on the ship "MacDonald". These Roman Catholic Highlanders had elected to settle near their Loyalist kindred in Upper Canada.

The Blue Chapel was the place of worship of St. Raphaels and surrounding area until 1821, when the larger church was completed.

This plaque is in memory of Angus A. and Marjorie (Mackenzie) Macdonell, longtime parishioners of St. Raphael's Parish. Their ancestors came from the Mohawk Valley and settled in this area in 1784. It has been erected by their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren in an effort to preserve the early history of the Parish of St. Raphaels.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1789.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
45° 12.722′ N, 74° 35.798′ W. Marker is in St. Raphael's, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties. Marker is on County Road 18 (County Highway 18), on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in the middle of the cemetery at 19998 County Rd 18. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: St Raphael's ON K0C 2J0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 21 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Parish of St. Raphael (within shouting distance of this marker); The Glengarry Emigration of 1786 (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Raphaels' Ruins (within shouting distance of this marker); Bishop Alexander Macdonell (within shouting distance of this marker); The College of Iona / Le College d'Iona (about 240 meters away, measured in a direct line); "Cariboo" Cameron (approx. 17.5 kilometers away); Lieutenant-Colonel John Macdonell (approx. 19.3 kilometers away); Captain Miles Macdonell (approx. 20.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Raphael's.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2022, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 89 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 8, 2022, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201624

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 17, 2024