Georgetown in Scott County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Confederate Captain J. Henry Wolfe House
519 East Main Street
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
Location. 38° 12.581′ N, 84° 33.115′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Kentucky, in Scott County. Marker is on East Main Street (U.S. 460) east of Chambers Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 519 E Main St, Georgetown KY 40324, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. H.C. Blackburn House (within shouting distance of this marker); John B. Graves House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Georgetown College (about 700 feet away); Hambrick Village (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chambers Ave. / Ed Davis School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Scott County Courthouse / Goebel Trial Here (approx. 0.4 miles away); Remember the Raisin! (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Memory of those Scott County Boys (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Regarding Confederate Captain J. Henry Wolfe House. Entry from the Kentucky Historical Society's Civil War Governors of Kentucky Digital Documentary Edition:
J. Henry Wolfe Georgetown, Kentucky, grocer and soldier. Bremen, Germany, native. Married to Elizabeth Wolfe. Educated in surveying and civil engineering, in a German military institute. Immigrated to the United States and settled in Florida. Relocated to Georgetown in 1840. Grocer in Georgetown from 1840 to 1862. Member of the Mount Vernon Lodge No. 14 in Georgetown in 1862. Served as a captain in the 7th Kentucky Volunteer Cavalry Regiment (Confederate) from September 1862 to October 1864. Captured at Syracuse, Ohio, in July 1863. Prisoner of War at Columbus, Ohio, and at Fort Delaware in Pea Patch Island, Delaware. Paroled and exchanged in October 1864.
Also see . . . Georgetown East Main Street Residential District (PDF). National Register nomination for the historic district, which includes the J. Henry Wolf House (also known as the Bryan House after a subsequent owner). (National Archives) (Submitted on July 31, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.