Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bertram in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bertram Depot

 
 
Bertram Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 4, 2022
1. Bertram Depot Marker
Inscription.  When the Austin & Northwestern Railroad first laid rails through Bertram in 1882, the original Bertram depot was constructed on this site and served railroad passengers until the end of passenger service in 1937.

The depot was demolished in 1964, and the site sat vacant through the 1990's. The George Peters family of Sandia, Texas donated a vintage 1912 San Antonio & Aransas Pass depot from Orange Grove, Texas to the Austin Steam Train Association in 1997.

ASTA volunteers moved that depot to this site in March of 1998 and have accurately restored it over a five year period. Thanks to their hard work and dedication the old depot has come back to life and now serves the passengers of the Austin & Texas Central Railroad's Flyer trains.

The cast iron and wood bench inside the Depot is an original relic of the first Bertram Depot. The SA & AP depot original counter was not salvageable, so an exact replica was crafted by ASTA volunteers out of long leaf pine flooring salvaged from a 100-year old Bertram house.
 
Erected 2007 by City of Bertram.
 
Topics. This historical marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1998.
 
Location. 30° 44.646′ N, 98° 3.298′ W. Marker is in Bertram, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 29 and Farm to Market Road 1174, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 29. The marker is located west of the train depot next to the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 W State Highway 29, Bertram TX 78605, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The City of Bertram (here, next to this marker); J.V. "Pinky" Wilson (a few steps from this marker); Bertram School (approx. ¼ mile away); Bertram (approx. half a mile away); The Village of South Gabriel (approx. 2 miles away); The Bryson Place (approx. 2.3 miles away); Mount Zion Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Oatmeal Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bertram.
 
Also see . . .  Bertram, Texas. Wikipedia
Bertram is at the junction of Farm Roads 243 and 1174 and State Highway 29, ten miles east of Burnet in eastern Burnet County. The town was established in 1882, when the community of San Gabriel (near the San Gabriel River) in Burnet County was
Bertram Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 4, 2022
2. Bertram Depot Marker
moved two miles northwest to the newly constructed Austin and Northwestern Railroad. The new community was named for Austin merchant Rudolph Bertram, the largest stockholder in the Austin and Northwestern. A post office opened in 1882 and, by 1891, the town had an estimated population of 150, a cotton gin-gristmill, three general stores, a grocer, a blacksmith, a shoemaker, and two wagonmakers. After 1900, Bertram was a shipping point for cotton, cattle, and wool. In 1928, a record 11,624 bales of cotton were ginned in the town.
(Submitted on August 6, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The Bertram Depot Marker is right marker of the two markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 4, 2022
3. The Bertram Depot Marker is right marker of the two markers
The Bertram Depot image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 4, 2022
4. The Bertram Depot
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 6, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=203266

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 15, 2024