Capitol Hill in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Lively Market for a Lively Neighborhood
Eastern Market, one of three public markets proposed in L’Enfant’s Plan, was established in 1805, by Presidential Proclamation, and originally located near the Navy Yard at 6th Street between K and L Streets, S.E. It was relocated to this site in 1873, as a new building, designed by Adolf Cluss, which is now known as South Hall. The Center and North Halls were added in 1908. Designated a D.C. Historic Landmark in 1964, the Market was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
Among the 70 buildings Cluss built in the Nation’s Capital and environs were two other public markets: the former Center Market ( c. 1872), the nation’s largest, at Pennsylvania Avenue between 7th and 9th Streets, N.W. and the Alexandria, Virginia Market House and City Hall ( c. 1873), on Cameron Street, which continues in use as the Alexandria City Hall.
Adolf Cluss, Architect:
Shaping a Capital City worthy of the Republic after the Civil War;
Born Heilbronn, Germany,
Plaque dedicated October 2005, on the 200th anniversary of President Jefferson’s proclamation establishing the market and 100 years after the death of Adolf Cluss.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson series list.
Location. 38° 53.187′ N, 76° 59.779′ W. Marker is in Capitol Hill in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is on 7th Street Southeast north of C Street Southeast, on the right when traveling south. Marker is 1.5 blocks north of Pennsylvania and south of Independence Avenues, SE. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 225 7th Street Southeast, Washington DC 20003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Meet You At the Market (within shouting distance of this marker); John W. Harrod (within shouting distance of this marker); Edge of the Row (approx. 0.2 miles away); At the Crossroads (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Ebenezer United Methodist Church Little Ebenezer (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Ebenezer United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Capitol Hill.
Also see . . .
1. Eastern Market, Washington, D.C. (Submitted on June 29, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Adolf Cluss: Architect. (Submitted on June 29, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. Architect of the Everyday: Snowden Ashford. (Submitted on June 29, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. German-American
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,202 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.