Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Zimco in Clarke County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Clarke County Courthouse Site

 
 
Clarke County Courthouse Site Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, August 7, 2022
1. Clarke County Courthouse Site Marker
Inscription.  
Town of Clarkesville
1819-1832

Erected by Clarke County
Historical Society-1976

 
Erected 1976 by Clarke County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1819.
 
Location. 31° 43.715′ N, 87° 52.688′ W. Marker is in Zimco, Alabama, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of Mount Zion Road and Revelation Road, on the right when traveling south on Mount Zion Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grove Hill AL 36451, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. King Institute (approx. 2.9 miles away); Elijah & Isaac Pugh (approx. 3.3 miles away); Fort Landrum Site (approx. 4.6 miles away); Clarke County Courthouse (approx. 6 miles away); Grove Hill, Alabama (approx. 6 miles away); Josiah and Lucy Martin Mathews Cabin (approx. 6.1 miles away); Salt Pans and Furnaces (approx. 6.1 miles away); Turner Corncrib (approx. 6.1 miles away).
 
More about
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
this marker.
Mount Zion Road and surrounding roads are unimproved dirt roads. Caution advised while driving them, especially in wet weather or road conditions.
 
Regarding Clarke County Courthouse Site. Clarke County was formed in December, 1812. Seven years later, the Alabama legislature tasked county commissioners with locating a “seat of justice” with a caveat: It had to be within three miles of the county's geographical center. As a result, the commissioners founded Clarkesville (where the featured marker now is located). A log courthouse was built but was only used until 1831, when the county seat was moved to Macon (later renamed Grove Hill). By 1900, the town of Clarkesville had disappeared.
 
Clarke County Courthouse Site Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, August 7, 2022
2. Clarke County Courthouse Site Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=203684

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024