Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Canton in Stark County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Stark County Courthouse

A Walk with the President

 
 
Stark County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, July 24, 2022
1. Stark County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The first Stark County Courthouse on this site was a brick structure built in 1817. It was only 44 feet square and as the city grew and prospered, it quickly became too small. In 1870, a larger courthouse was dedicated. This building was of the Italianate style and had twin towers, one at either side of its main entrance.
In this building. William McKinley practiced law for the firm of Judge George W. Belden. He distinguished himself both in the practice of law and as a prosecutor because he was not only a man of intellect, he was also a gifted orator and debater, skills which allowed him to practice successfully in the field of law. McKinley was elected prosecuting attorney at the age of 25 and served from 1869 to 1871. The second floor courtroom is generally believed to be the room where he served. Portraits of him are on display.
By 1895 the community had again outgrown the building, and county officials decided to radically remodel and expand it. This eclectic style structure has survived nearly intact to the present day. The Stark County Courthouse was placed on the National Register of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Historic Places in 1975. Renovation work completed in 1995 has returned the stained-glass windows to their original glory and has removed exterior defacement. The clock was repaired and the angels, the trumpeters of justice, have been re-gilded. Throughout the dust and noise of renovation, the Stark County Courthouse conducted "business as usual” as it has for i over 175 years.
 
Erected by McKinley Museum / United National Bank & Trust.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1817.
 
Location. 40° 47.921′ N, 81° 22.516′ W. Marker is in Canton, Ohio, in Stark County. Marker is at the intersection of Central Plaza North and Market Avenue N, on the right when traveling west on Central Plaza North. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 Central Plaza N, Canton OH 44702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Meneely Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); 100 Central Plaza North (within shouting distance of this marker); President McKinley (within shouting distance of this marker); Church Of The Savior (within shouting distance of this marker); James Murray Spangler (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge Leroy J. Contie, Jr.
Stark County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, July 24, 2022
2. Stark County Courthouse
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Geo. D. Harter Bank (about 300 feet away); Mayor Stanley A. Cmich (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
 
Stark County Courthouse Cornerston image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, July 24, 2022
3. Stark County Courthouse Cornerston
Left side of steps.
Stark County Courthouse Cornerston image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, July 24, 2022
4. Stark County Courthouse Cornerston
On the right side of the steps.
Stark County Courthouse Benchmark image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, July 24, 2022
5. Stark County Courthouse Benchmark
On the right side of the building near the corner.
Stark County Courthouse Re-Dedication of Clock Tower image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, July 24, 2022
6. Stark County Courthouse Re-Dedication of Clock Tower
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 18, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=204177

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024