Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Caldwell in Burleson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church

 
 
First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 9, 2022
1. First Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Originally named Dove Church. Organized May 4, 1843, in home of Laban Rice, one of six charter members. Noted frontier ministers R.E.B. Baylor and Noah Byars presided at founding, and Byars served as first pastor.

First building (1844) stood on Davidson Creek (about 1 Mi. E), where early baptisms were held. One of many renowned former pastors was the Rev. B.H. Carroll, who was ordained and licensed here.

Of five sanctuaries for this church, two burned. The present one was built in 1928-1929. In 1960 it was remodeled and an education building erected.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7572.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is May 4, 1843.
 
Location. 30° 31.746′ N, 96° 41.64′ W. Marker is in Caldwell, Texas, in Burleson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Thomas Street and West Mustang Street, on the right when traveling south on South Thomas Street. The marker is located in front of the church at the corner.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 South Thomas Street, Caldwell TX 77836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old City Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Warren Lodge No. 56, A.F. & A.M. (about 700 feet away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Caldwell National Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Burleson County in World War II (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Caldwell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Burleson County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caldwell.
 
Also see . . .  Robert Emmett Bledsoe Baylor. Wikipedia
In 1839, Baylor moved to La Grange, Texas. He quickly made a name for himself in Texas law as judge of the Third Judicial District of the Congress of the Republic of Texas, and was appointed to the Supreme Court of the Republic of Texas as an associate justice in 1841, a position he would hold until the annexation of Texas in 1845. After Texas attained statehood, Baylor was appointed by Governor J. P. Henderson as judge over the Third Judicial District of the new state, a position he would hold until his retirement in 1863. He lived the remainder of his life in Gay
The First Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 9, 2022
2. The First Baptist Church and Marker
Hill, Texas.
(Submitted on August 18, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The First Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 9, 2022
3. The First Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=204221

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024