Savoy in Fannin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Savoy Methodist Church
This congregation traces its beginning to 1873, one year after William Savoy founded the town of Savoy on the Transcontinental (Texas & Pacific) Railroad line. Led by the Rev. James Graham, the members first met in the Roberts schoolhouse on the old Whitewright Road. They built their first sanctuary in 1876-1878, and it was one of the few buildings not destroyed when a tornado ravaged the town in 1880. A shared station with other area churches throughout its history, the Savoy church has emphasized educational and missionary activities.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8930.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 33° 35.88′ N, 96° 21.876′ W. Marker is in Savoy, Texas, in Fannin County. Marker is at the intersection of Commerce Street and East Fowler Street, on the right when traveling south on Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 E Hayes St, Savoy TX 75479, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured Fort Warren (approx. 0.8 miles away); Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); First Baptist Church of Bells (approx. 2.8 miles away); Little Jordan Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Ector Lodge No. 687, A. F. & A. M. (approx. 5.4 miles away); Congressman Sam Rayburn (approx. 9.2 miles away); Sam Rayburn House (approx. 9.2 miles away); Dr. Tom Douglas Spies (approx. 9.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2022, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 21, 2022, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.