Freeport in Cumberland County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
B.H. Bartol Library Building
For close to a century this building housed Freeport’s public library. It was one of over l ,600 libraries built in the US with money donated by the industrialist and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie. The Carnegie organization donated a total of $6,500 towards the building, while a local library organization invested $3,500, and the community agreed to provide annually for the library’s improvement. The library was named in honor of Barnabus Henry Bartol, a successful engineer and businessman born in Freeport, whose heirs donated $1,000 to the cause. The building was dedicated in May, 2006.
By the mid-1990s, it was clear the library organization needed additional space. In 1997, the Freeport Community Library was built off Upper Main Street, without the need for outside support. The new facility ensures the community's continued access to the library's valuable resources. The town still owns the Bartol building here on Main Street and leases it for retail business use.
The first record of a library in Freeport dates to 1830, when Josiah Mitchell maintained a modest library in his law office. The institution struggled
George Burnham, who trained in Paris at Ecole des Beaux Arts and was the architect of such major Portland buildings as the Porteous, Mitchell, and Braun Department Store and the Cumberland County Courthouse, designed the library.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1903.
Location. 43° 51.401′ N, 70° 6.241′ W. Marker is in Freeport, Maine, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 1) and Nathan Nye Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 Main Street, Freeport ME 04032, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harrington House (within shouting distance of this marker); Derosier’s Market (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Freeport Maine Civil War Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Desert of Maine (approx. 2.6 miles away); Round-the-World Flight 1924 (approx. 4˝ miles away); Robinson Memorial Gate (approx. 7.8 miles away); Androscoggin Swinging Bridge (approx. 7.8 miles away); Bowdoin College War Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Freeport.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2022, by D Howitt of Bergen County, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2022, by D Howitt of Bergen County, New Jersey. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.