Sutherland Springs in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Alabama natives Emory Crawford Barker (1839-1914) and Leah Humphreys (1842-1931) both came to the area with their families in the early 1850s. Emory served in Co. G of Terry’s Texas Rangers during the Civil War. He and Leah married in 1866 and had seven children. The Barkers bought 260 acres along the Old Sutherland Springs - Seguin Road. Their home built in 1871 is one of few remaining rock houses in the Cibolo Valley. Red sandstone for construction was sawed rather than being chipped or broken as was more common. A nearby spring-fed water well made the home a popular stop for stagecoaches and wagons. In 1879, the Barkers sold the house and moved to Blanco County. After a succession of owners, Rudolph (1882-1952) and Adelia Moehrig (1888-1980) Huebinger bought the house in November 1916. Besides this farm Rudolph owned a butcher shop, and Adelia was a noted seamstress and hat maker here and in California. The property remained in the Huebinger family at the turn of the 21st century.
This historic homestead includes a main house, outbuilding and well. The home is a load-bearing masonry structure with an extended hall and parlor
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14192.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 29° 20.575′ N, 98° 3.619′ W. Marker is in Sutherland Springs, Texas, in Wilson County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 539. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13440 FM 539, La Vernia TX 78121, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bridge at McAlister Crossing (approx. 0.9 miles away); Linne Oil Field (approx. 1.4 miles away); Polley Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Whitehall (approx. Rector Chapel Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Alamo Survivor (approx. 3.1 miles away); Cibolo Crossing on the Gonzales Road (approx. 3.1 miles away); Immanuel Lutheran Church (approx. 3.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.