Morriston in Forrest County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Morriston Post Office
Established here in what was then Perry County on February 8, 1887, with D. L. Carter as the first Postmaster. Discontinued on September 11, 1893, but reestablished on January 10, 1894, with J. S. Doyle as Postmaster. Named for F. M. Morris who was Postmaster during the late 1890s. Moved to Hattiesburg on August 15, 1906.
In loving memory of our
Grandmother and Mother
Alice F. Moore
Dwayne, Ken, Jr., Tony, Ed,
Keith, Greg, Theresa, M, Wible,
Chris and Glen Moore,
Eddie and Scott Carpenter
Erected 1989 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is February 8, 1887.
Location. 31° 25.713′ N, 89° 10.116′ W. Marker is in Morriston, Mississippi, in Forrest County. Marker is at the intersection of Macedonia Road and Morriston Road, on the right when traveling north on Macedonia Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1170 Macedonia Road, Hattiesburg MS 39401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Vernon F. Dahmer, Sr. (approx. 8.3 miles away); Original Sunrise School (approx. 8.6 miles away); Roots of Rock and Roll (approx. 9.7 miles away); Taking our Rightful Place in History / We Honor These 15 Brave Men Who Filed The Voting Rights Case (approx. 9.7 miles away); Rev. W.D. Ridgeway (approx. 9.7 miles away); A Bench By The Road (approx. 9.7 miles away); Eureka School (approx. 9.7 miles away); J.B. Woods Park (approx. 9.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2022, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 50 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 23, 2022, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.