Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico — The Central Highlands (North America)
 

Parish of Guadalupe

 
 
Parish of Guadalupe Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, August 4, 2022
1. Parish of Guadalupe Marker
Inscription.  

Parroquia de Guadalupe
Inició su construcción Dn. Manuel de la Borda y Verdugo como un adoratorio a San Felipe Neri en 1784, se termino por Dn. Fancisco Perez Palacios y se consagró a la Virgen de Guadalupe el 12 de Diciembre de 1843. La Imagen principal de la Virgen se atribuye al pintor Miguel Cabrera.

Guardaba este templo hasta los años 70’s del siglo XX, las reliquias corporales recubiertas con cera de los martires romanos - Sn. Justino, Sn. Vicente Miño y restos de Sta. Fermina enviadas por Roma con gran pompa y solemnidad como regalo y reconocimiento del Papa Clemente XIII el 5 de Marzo de 1792. (Hoy se encuentran olvidadas en las bodegas de la catedral).

El Reloj fue colocado el 15 de Septiembre de 1887.

El púlpito original y parte de los altares fueron retirados en las obras de remodelacion de 1977-78.

La fachada de cantera suave, siempre estuvo recubierta y protegida por un enlucido a la cal policromado. En 1999 se sustituyeron algunas columnas y cornisas deterioradas con cantera gris diferente a la original y el aplanado no se restituyó.

Patronato Centro
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Historico
170070010260 24 S.E.C.
FITUR Morelos

English translation:
Parish of Guadalupe
Manuel de la Borda y Verdugo began its construction as an adoratory to San Felipe Neri in 1784 and it was completed by Francisco Pérez Palacios and consecrated to the Virgin of Guadalupe on December 12, 1843. The main image of the Virgin is attributed to the painter Miguel Cabrera.

This temple kept until the 70s of the twentieth century, the wax-covered relics of the bodies of the Roman martyrs Saint Justin, Saint Vicente Miño and Saint Fermina sent by Rome with great pomp and solemnity as a gift and recognition of Pope Clement XIII on March 5, 1792. (Today they are forgotten in the cellars of the cathedral).

The clock was on placed on September 15, 1887.

The original pulpit and part of the altars were removed in the remodeling works of 1977-78.

The façade of soft quarried stone was always covered and protected by a multicolored lime plaster. In 1999 some deteriorated columns and cornices were replaced with gray quarried stone different from the original and the flattening was not restored.

Patronato Centro Historico
170070010260 24 S.E.C.
FITUR Morelos
 
Erected by Patronato Centro Histórico, FITUR Morelos.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these
Parish of Guadalupe and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, August 4, 2022
2. Parish of Guadalupe and Marker
topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is March 5, 1792.
 
Location. 18° 55.282′ N, 99° 14.261′ W. Marker is in Cuernavaca, Morelos. Marker is at the intersection of Route 95 and Miguel Hidalgo, on the left when traveling north on Route 95. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cuernavaca MOR 62000, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alexander von Humboldt (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); "La Casona" (about 90 meters away); First Theatre of Cuernavaca (about 120 meters away); Cathedral of Cuernavaca (about 120 meters away); First Franciscans in Cuernavaca (about 120 meters away); U.A.E.M. Public Library (about 150 meters away); "Villa Bonita" (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Temixco Massacre (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuernavaca.
 
Parish of Guadalupe image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, August 4, 2022
3. Parish of Guadalupe
A clock restoration tablet for the Parish of Guadalupe image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, August 4, 2022
4. A clock restoration tablet for the Parish of Guadalupe
This 1979 tablet describes the restoration of the 1887 clock mentioned in the featured marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2022, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 1, 2022, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=207029

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024