Guelph in Wellington County, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
The Home of the First Mayor of Guelph
Erected 1977 by The University Women's Club of Guelph.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 43° 32.605′ N, 80° 14.968′ W. Marker is in Guelph, Ontario, in Wellington County. It can be reached from the intersection of Wilson Street and Carden Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is mounted at eye-level directly on the subject building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 Wilson Street, Guelph ON N1H 4G5, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Huron-Perth-Waterloo-Wellington Area and in Southwestern Ontario. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Provincial Winter Fair Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception / LΙglise Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Guelph's Original Town Hall (about 120 meters away); Joseph Connolly 1840 - 1904 (about 120 meters away); Guelph City Hall / L'hτtel de ville de Guelph (about 120 meters away); Guelph City Hall 1856 (about 150 meters away); John Galt's Town Plan (about 150 meters away); John Galt (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guelph.
Also see . . . Guelph.
Guelph was incorporated as a town in 1855 and the first mayor elected was John Smith. Despite optimism, the population growth was very slow until the Grand Trunk Railway reached it from Toronto, en route to Sarnia, in 1856; the town was also served soon thereafter by the Great Western Railway branch from Harrisburg. In 1856, the village became a town. The first city hall, now called the Old City Hall (Guelph), was built in 1856 of Guelph stone; the building contained a market house, offices and an assembly hall.(Submitted on October 29, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

