New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
(Reverse) Conçue en 1788 comme place publique du Faubourg Sainte-Marie qui fut la premiére banlieue de La Nouvelle-Orléans, cette place commémore Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette, héros de la Guerre d'indépendance Américaine. Lafayette déclina l'offre qui lui était faite de devenir le premier gouverneur au moment de l'achat de la Louisiane par les Etats-Unis. Entre le 9 et 15 avril 1825, Lafayette visita La Nouvelle-Orléans et fut chaleureusment accueilli.
Erected 1985 by France-Amérique de la Louisiane.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 29° 56.91′ N, 90° 4.245′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on St. Charles Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kossuth (a few steps from this marker); Lambert-Gallier Inn of Court (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the St. Charles Theaters (about 500 feet away); Saint Patrick's Church (about 700 feet away); St. Patrick's Church (about 700 feet away); St. Patrick's (about 700 feet away); Le Pavillon Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Additional keywords. John McDonogh; Henry Clay; Benjamin Franklin.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 2,336 times since then and 98 times this year. Last updated on July 19, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 28, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 19, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.