Fairview in Buncombe County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1970 by State Department Of Archives and History. (Marker Number P-60.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 35° 29.727′ N, 82° 21.936′ W. Marker is in Fairview, North Carolina, in Buncombe County. Marker is on Charlotte Highway (U.S. 74) near Ager Lane, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairview NC 28730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. William J. Palmer (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chimney Rock (approx. 6.8 miles away); a different marker also named Chimney Rock (approx. 7.6 miles away); Barbara T. Meliski Park (approx. 7.8 miles away); In CommemorationWarren Wilson College (approx. 7.8 miles away); The Legacy of Chimney Rock Park (approx. 7.9 miles away); A Real Workhorse (approx. 7.9 miles away).
Regarding Sherrill's Inn. Early settlers in North Carolina’s mountains were hardy men and women and, as they carved a place for themselves in the countryside, they developed small cottage industries to supplement their income. A popular option for many pioneers was the establishment of taverns, or inns, for weary travelers to find some food and a dry place to lay their head. Among the early entrepreneurs was Bedford Sherrill who purchased land from John Sumner in 1834 in Hickory Nut Gap. Sherrill enlarged the existing house, possibly built as early as 1806, and added other outbuildings to support a store. Once traffic increased to the area, Sherrill was able to secure the local stagecoach stop, ensuring weary travelers would land at his doorstep. Visitors to Sherrill’s inn ranged from tourists to farmers driving herds of livestock southward. To accommodate the “drovers” and their herds, Sherrill sold feed and supplies to the farmers. During the Civil War, Sherrill’s inn served both Union and Confederate troops.
Sherrill sold the inn in 1866 to Thomas J. Lee who re-named the tavern
1. National Register of Historic Places:
Sherrill's Inn ** (added 1975 - - #75001244)
♦ Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
♦ Architectural Style: No Style Listed
♦ Area of Significance:
♦ Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1875-1899, 1850-1874, 1825-1849
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Domestic
♦ Historic Sub-function: Hotel
— Submitted July 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 697 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on November 7, 2022, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 10, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.