Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lexington in Sanilac County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Moore Public Library

 
 
Moore Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, September 7, 2022
1. Moore Public Library Marker
Inscription.  

Moore Public Library
Built in 1859
 
Erected 1986 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L543.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 43° 16.121′ N, 82° 31.895′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Michigan, in Sanilac County. Marker can be reached from Huron Avenue (Michigan Route 90) near Main Street (Michigan Route 25), on the right when traveling west. The marker is posted on the rear of the library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7239 Huron Ave, Lexington MI 48450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charles H. Moore Public Library (here, next to this marker); Sanilac County Sesquicentennial Celebration (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town Hall and Masonic Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Cadillac House (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles H. Moore & Albert E. Sleeper House (about 500
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Patrick J. Tierney (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Trinity Church (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
 
Also see . . .  Moore Public Library, A District Library. Excerpt:
he Charles H. Moore Library of Lexington was opened in the present building January 17, 1903. Mrs. Mary Moore Sleeper, married to Albert E. Sleeper, governor of Michigan (1917-1920), along with her sisters Ella and Emma, deeded the property and building to the Village for library purposes only. They named it in honor of their father. The building had been constructed in 1859 by John Devine for his law office and was remodeled for a library during the early part of the 1900’s. The library was launched with 1300 books from Oscoda, donated by J. L. Wood, an uncle of the Moore sisters.
(Submitted on December 14, 2022, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
Moore Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, September 7, 2022
2. Moore Public Library Marker
Moore Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, August 15, 2022
3. Moore Public Library Marker
Moore Public Library image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, August 15, 2022
4. Moore Public Library
Moore Public Library Sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, August 15, 2022
5. Moore Public Library Sign
Moore Public Library image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, August 15, 2022
6. Moore Public Library
This view shows a stone identifying Charles Moore as benefactor of the library.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2022, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 14, 2022, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=212417

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024