Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Dawson in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Former Site of Liberty Hill Settlement

 
 
Former Site of Liberty Hill Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 17, 2023
1. Former Site of Liberty Hill Settlement Marker
Inscription.  A mile west of the 1838 Battle Creek Massacre Site, this cemetery marks the location of Liberty Hill, an Anglo-American community begun during the following decade. Samuel and Prudence (Matthews) Wright, from Maury County, Tenn., settled here in 1849. They were relatives of Dr. George W. Hill, Indian agent and trading post operator at Spring Hill, half a day's wagon ride from here. The Wrights acquired land and attracted pioneer neighbors. In 1860, Liberty Hill Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized by members of the Fullerton, Garner, McCandless, Moore, Richey, Slaughter, Wright, and Younger families. Wright donated a church site.

After the Civil War (1861-65), in which men of this community served, a new influx of settlers included the M.A. Wilkes family, relatives of the Wrights. Prosperity prevailed in the settlement. Continuing his interest in the public good, Wright gave land (1876) for this cemetery and (1884) for public school uses. The rise of Dawson and Hubbard, Cotton Belt Railroad shipping points, drew population from the Liberty Hill area. The school was removed in 1917; the church dissolved in 1929. Land which
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
once was intensively farmed has now reverted to grazing.
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7226.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
 
Location. 31° 53.285′ N, 96° 45.37′ W. Marker is near Dawson, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 709, 0.6 miles north of State Highway 31, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located along east side of the highway in front of the Liberty Hill Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22479 FM 709, Dawson TX 76639, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle Creek Massacre Memorial Monument (approx. one mile away); Battle Creek Burial Ground (approx. one mile away); Evangelist Lester L. Roloff (approx. 2˝ miles away); Town of Dawson (approx. 2˝ miles away); Britton Dawson Home (approx. 3.4 miles away); Braniff International Flight 352 (approx. 3˝ miles away); Hot Mineral Water Well (approx. 3.7 miles away); Hometown of Tris Speaker (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dawson.
 
The view of the Former Site of Liberty Hill Settlement Marker and cemetery along the highway image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 17, 2023
2. The view of the Former Site of Liberty Hill Settlement Marker and cemetery along the highway
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2023, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2023, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=214268

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024