Lexington in Lexington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This kitchen, built c. 1825 in Batesburg-Leesville by planter Joel Ridgell (1798-1870) whose second wife was a sister of John Fox, is almost identical to the kitchen that originally stood here from 1832 until demolished c. 1920. Each kitchen served around 30 persons including the family and their household slaves. The kitchen was detached from the main house because of heat, noise, and danger of fire.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
Location. 33° 59.25′ N, 81° 14.367′ W. Marker is in Lexington, South Carolina, in Lexington County. Marker is on Fox Street. Building is on the grounds of the Lexington County Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 231 Fox Street, Lexington SC 29072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Fox House (within shouting distance of this marker); Cotton Gin (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named John Fox House (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hazelius HouseOak Grove Schoolhouse (about 400 feet away); Daniel Koon House (about 400 feet away); Laurence Corley House (about 500 feet away); Tomb of Dr. E.L. Hazelius (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Stephen's Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Also see . . . Lexington County Museum - A Story Behind Every Door. Museum Website:
The Lexington County Museum, founded in 1970, offers a rare and unforgettable experience – the chance to see and touch a way of life gone forever. (Submitted on August 30, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. About Joel Ridgell
The Ridgell family is of English origin and first settled at Charleston. Joel Ridgell spent all his life in Lexington County. He owned the land on which the Town of Batesburg was built, and was a highly honored character there for many years. The Fox family is likewise one of long residence in the county. (Source: History of South Carolina by Yates Snowden, pg 138.)
The marker was moved to the grounds of the Lexington County Museum in 2019.
— Submitted February 9, 2020, by Stuart Platt of Lexington, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 743 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 30, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.