Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Holy Trinity Church
[Chapel of St. Ignatius Loyola]
First place for public
in what is now the
District of Columbia
Erected 1950 by National Capital Sesquicentennial Commission.
Location. 38° 54.413′ N, 77° 4.177′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on N Street Northwest east of 36th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3513 N Street Northwest, Washington DC 20007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Holy Trinity Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); John Fitzgerald Kennedy (within shouting distance of this marker); Holy Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); The Black House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Casa Latina (about 300 feet away); Simplicity, Gentleness, Humility (about 300 feet away); Prospect House (about 400 feet away); 3425 Prospect Street Northwest (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
1. First Marriage Record
The first marriage record (at this church) occurs on January 1, 1794, for 'David Thomas to Phyllis, a Negro Slave, property of Elizabeth Coyle of Georgetown.'" -- HABS
— Submitted September 4, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Landmarks • Notable Buildings
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,074 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.