Scottsboro in Jackson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Robert Thomas Scott
Incorporated by the state legislature on January 20, 1870, the town became an important commercial center and shipping point on the Memphis and Charleston Railroad.
Erected 1989 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Government & Politics • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 40.35′ N, 86° 2.04′ W. Marker is in Scottsboro, Alabama, in Jackson County. Marker can be reached from E Laurel Street. Located on the Jackson County Courthouse grounds on the East Laurel Street side. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. Andrew Jackson (here, next to this marker); Jackson County Courthouse And The Scottsboro Boys (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Civil War Encampment in Scottsboro (approx. ¼ mile away); Scottsboro Railroad Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert E. Jones, Jr. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bellefonte Cemetery / Town of Bellefonte (approx. 5.7 miles away); Town of Section (approx. 6.9 miles away); History of Langston (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scottsboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,889 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.