Kenton in Hardin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mad River Railroad
In 1832 a charter was granted by the State of Ohio for construction of a railroad between Sandusky City and Dayton. The right-of-way privileges included Hardin County. The first train, of the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad, arrived in Kenton from Sandusky on July 14, 1846. The railroad was completed to Dayton in 1851. The depot on this site was erected in 1882.
Erected 1989 by The Country Connection Club and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-33.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1819.
Location. 40° 38.844′ N, 83° 36.696′ W. Marker is in Kenton, Ohio, in Hardin County. Marker is on Franklin Street (Ohio Route 309), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 322 W Franklin Street, Kenton OH 43326, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gene Autry (about 300 feet away, measured in Frank Bondi (about 300 feet away); Fort McArthur (about 700 feet away); The Hardin County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); "The Liberty Garden" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); We The People Mural (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kenton (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kenton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,229 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.