Talbotton in Talbot County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Talbotton United Methodist Church
Upon the incorporation of Talbotton on 20 December 1828 a lot was set aside for a Methodist Church and deeded to it on 25 June 1831. Soon a substantial wooden church was erected. In 1857 this building was replaced by the present handmade brick church constructed by Miranda Fort.
Among the oldest original brick churches of the South Georgia Conference, it is an outstanding example of Greek Revival Temple Architecture.
Erected 1978 by South Georgia Conference Commission on Archives and History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is June 25, 1831.
Location. 32° 40.42′ N, 84° 32.332′ W. Marker is in Talbotton, Georgia, in Talbot County Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Talbotton GA 31827, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Bartram Trail (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Zion Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); Elizabeth Evelyn Wright (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Session Supreme Court of Georgia (approx. ¼ mile away); Talbot County (approx. ¼ mile away); Straus Home Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Talbotton.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,061 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 8, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on February 5, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.