Lawrence-Fort Ben-Oaklandon near Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fort Harrison Terminal Station
placed on the
National
Register of
Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Forts and Castles • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Location. 39° 51.341′ N, 86° 0.811′ W. Marker is near Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. It is in Lawrence-Fort Ben-Oaklandon. It is at the intersection of Lawton Loop East Drive and East 56th Street, on the right when traveling north on Lawton Loop East Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5625 Lawton Loop E Dr, Indianapolis IN 46216, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Central Indiana. It is also in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture and also the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Spring Valley Cemetery (approx. Ό mile away); Civilian Military Training Camp Latrines (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Citizen's Military Training Camp (CMTC) (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named The Citizen's Military Training Camp (CMTC) (approx. half a mile away); Welcome to Camp Glenn (approx. half a mile away); Return of the Natives (approx. 1.2 miles away); Ladywood Estates (approx. 3.8 miles away); Indiana State Fairgrounds Mile (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
Another marker is no longer nearby. Fort Benjamin Harrison (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been confirmed missing).
Regarding Fort Harrison Terminal Station. Excerpts from the National Register nomination:
The terminal stands as one of the few remaining stations serving an electric rail line system once pervasive throughout Indiana and the Midwest. Service from the station began shortly after construction was completed in 1908, and ended in 1941. Since 1947, the building has served Fort Harrison as a Post Office.
Land for the site had been purchased by the Federal Government from Francis M. Louden and his wife, Nancy, in 1903 to build an army camp. The terminal was one of several structures constructed at that time on what would later be named Fort Benjamin Harrison.
At 1:30 A.M., 19 January, 1941, two cars carried soldiers back to Fort Harrison. That was the last scheduled Indianapolis-Fort Benjamin Harrison interurban run for what was then the Indiana Railroad System. The company then ran regular bus service to areas formerly served by the interurban system. On June 30, 1947, the Post Office was moved into the terminal from a frame building which had stood just south of the terminal.
As of mid-2023 the building housed a Mexican restaurant.
Also see . . . Fort Harrison Terminal Station. National Register nomination (PDF) and photographs (separate PDF) submitted for the property, which was listed in 1984. (National Park Service) (Submitted on August 26, 2023, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2023, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 26, 2023, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.



