Seale in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Seale United Methodist Church
The Methodist Congregation of which the church at Seale was organized in 1842, were pioneer families with a deep faith in God and a clear vision of the future. This group was centered around a small meeting place and a schoolhouse located on the north side of the Federal Road about 12 miles west of the Chattahoochee River. This church was called Glenn Chapel, a memorial to the old preacher, James E. Glenn. The preaching place, a sort of community center, was established near the home of Sterling Bass. The schoolhouse faced east and Glenn Chapel west, at what was known as the Sterling Bass Cemetery.
The Church was dismantled and the congregation moved to Silver Run in 1866, which date is the official one for the establishment of the Seale Church. The Church, originally built at Silver Run, was not on the present site, but was within the enclosure of the present cemetery. The present Methodist Church was built about 1876. In 1949, three Sunday School rooms were added and a later expansion included classrooms, restrooms, kitchen and fellowship hall. The sanctuary was remodeled in
Erected 1993 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission And The Seale United Methodist Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 17.952′ N, 85° 9.978′ W. Marker is in Seale, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker is at the intersection of Courthouse Street and Chapel Street, on the right when traveling north on Courthouse Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Chapel St, Seale AL 36875, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Second Creek War in Russell County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Creek Settlements in Russell County (about 500 feet away); Early Russell County and the Town of Seale (about 500 feet away); Old Russell County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Holland McTyeire Smith (approx. ¼ mile away); Mitchell-Ferrell-Powell House (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Augustus Mitchell (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Bacon McDonald (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seale.
The father of Historical Marker Correspondent Tim Carr, the late Rev. James Thomas Carr, was the minister of this church and the Crawford United Methodist Church from 1955 to 1958.
— Submitted October 24, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,424 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 24, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.