Near Jacksonville in Onslow County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Julius Valentine Hofmann
Julius Valentine Hofmann
This Hofmann Forest, a 78,000 acre tract established in 1934 and dedicated to demonstrate sound forestry education and practice, is the result of the pioneering vision, energy and resourcefullness of the first Director of the School of Forestry at North Carolina State University.
The Board of Directors of the N.C. Forestry Foundation, Inc. erected this monument as an honor to this outstanding forester.
Erected 1965 by the Board of Directors of the N.C. Forestry Foundation, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Horticulture & Forestry. A significant historical year for this entry is 1934.
Location. 34° 50.128′ N, 77° 18.221′ W. Marker is near Jacksonville, North Carolina, in Onslow County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of New Bern Highway (U.S. 17), on the right when traveling south. At the Hofmann Forest Equipment Headquarters building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5472 New Bern Hwy, Jacksonville NC 28546, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of Hofmann Forest (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Melville Jones (about 600 feet away); First Post Road (approx. 5 miles away); Edward B. Dudley (approx. 7˝ miles away); Beirut Memorial (approx. 8.8 miles away); Montford Point (approx. 8.8 miles away); Onslow County 9/11 Memorial (approx. 8.8 miles away); a different marker also named Montford Point (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
Also see . . . Guide to the North Carolina Forestry Foundation Sub-Group, 1869 - 2000. "In February 1929, the North Carolina State College of Agriculture and Engineering (now N.C. State University) hired Dr. Julius V. Hofmann to set up a forestry program at the college. Prior to his appointment at North Carolina State College, Hofmann served as assistant director of the forestry school at Mount Alto, Pennsylvania.
"One of Hofmann's immediate goals was to acquire some forestland for laboratory, research, and demonstration purposes. Unable to secure funding from the university or the state of North Carolina, Hofmann determined the only recourse was to purchase the land on a self-liquidating basis. His hope was that receipts from timber sales would pay for the land. In addition to research, he hoped the school forest would demonstrate how to operate a forest on a profitable and sustainable basis.
"Hofmann, along with some trustees of North Carolina State College, incorporated the North Carolina Forestry Foundation on April 15, 1929 to manage and develop the Poole Woods, a 74.94 acre tract in Wake County, North Carolina and the first forest obtained by the Foundation. The Foundation was unable to operate the Poole Woods on a profitable basis and eventually liquidated the property in 1940 and 1941. The Foundation widened its scope to cover all lands acquired for the Department of Forestry. Other Foundation properties included the Hill Forest, near Durham, North Carolina, that the Department of Forestry received as a gift in 1930. The Forestry Foundation purchased the MacLean Forest, located in Hyde County, North Carolina, in 1932. The MacLean Forest was sold in 1942 so the Foundation could concentrate on their recently acquired land in eastern North Carolina, which became known as the Hofmann Forest."
Additional information and a chronology are also included at this link. (Submitted on October 27, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 955 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.