New Bern in Craven County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Centenary United Methodist Church
Established in 1772 during a visit to New Bern by Rev. Joseph Pilmoor. First known as Andrews Chapel and located Southwest of this site at Hancock St. and Church Alley. Centenary is the oldest continuing Methodist Church South and East of Baltimore. The present church building was completed in 1904.
Erected by the United Methodist Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1772.
Location. 35° 6.567′ N, 77° 2.346′ W. Marker is in New Bern, North Carolina, in Craven County. Marker is on New Street just east of Middle Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Bern NC 28560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Craven County World Wars 1 and 2 Memorial (about 400 feet away); Bayard v. Singleton (about 400 feet away); Bayard vs Singleton (about 400 First Printing Press In N.C. (about 500 feet away); First Provincial Congress (about 500 feet away); George E. Badger (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Bern.
Also see . . . Church History. Centenary United Methodist Church website entry (Submitted on October 28, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 722 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 28, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.