Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Taylor Post Office
The first post office established in this community opened in 1876 under the name Taylorville. In 1882, when the city was incorporated, it was renamed Taylor. The post office was housed in a number of locations until this structure was built in 1929-30. A finely crafted example of the Classical Revival style that characterized federal projects of the 1920s, the building features six round-arched windows on the ground floor; a balustrade and parapet with garland panel on the second floor; an elaborate entry portico; stone columns; and a classical entablature.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9359.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 30° 34.231′ N, 97° 24.659′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on West 4th Street near Talbot Street, on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 W 4th St, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Preslar-Hewitt Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eikel-Prewitt Building (about 400 feet away); City of Taylor (about 500 feet away); Tex Avery (about 500 feet away); Bill Pickett (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Taylor (about 700 feet away); Taylor National Bank (about 800 feet away); First Christian Church of Taylor (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 973 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.