Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Railroad Produce Warehouse
Built in 1904 by William Pearce to provide storage space for a wholesale grocery company, this building was part of a larger industrial complex. A number of buildings were constructed along nearby railroad lines, including an ice plant and bottling works, grist and planning mills, and a passenger and freight depot. Thick stone walls and spring water channeled through the basement of this structure helped to cool produce. This site is a reminder of the role industry and the railroad played in the economic development of Georgetown.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12305.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1904.
Location. 30° 38.302′ N, 97° 40.828′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on West 6th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 W 6th St, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); David Love Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Judge Greenleaf Fisk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chief Justice John Edward Hickman (approx. 0.2 miles away); M.B. Lockett BuildingFarmers State Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); H. C. Craig Bulding (approx. 0.2 miles away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 858 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on July 7, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.