Pigtown in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Old Relay Station and Hotel
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) series list.
Location. 39° 17.136′ N, 76° 37.928′ W. Marker is in Pigtown in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker can be reached from West Pratt Street west of South Poppleton Street, on the right when traveling east. The plaque has been moved to the inside of the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, Maryland. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 West Pratt Street, Baltimore MD 21223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (a few steps from this marker); The National Road Railroads Eclipse a National Road (within shouting distance of this marker); The Chessie's Famous "Big Mike" (within shouting distance of this marker); Pullman Troop Sleeper No. 7437 (within shouting distance of this marker); Luther G. Smith (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Working for the Railroad: African Americans (about 300 feet away); Working for the Railroad: Women (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pigtown.
Also see . . .
1. Relay Station and Hotel, c. 1886. Relay House, on the Patapsco River, was also known as the Viaduct Hotel. Constructed in 1872 at a cost of $50,078.41, it closed in 1938 and was demolished in 1950. In this photo its summer awnings are in place and a woman in period clothing is standing on the boardwalk. (Submitted on September 14, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Relay House, c. 1860. The original Relay House. (Submitted on September 14, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
3. The Viaduct Hotel. The B&O Viaduct Hotel, constructed between 1872 and 1873, can be seen in the upper right distance behind the Thomas (Submitted on September 14, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
4. Condensed History of the Relay Station and Hotel. “The gothic structure was built of Patapsco granite and trimmed in red seneca stone. The two-story porch on the river side of the hotel gave visitors a magnificent view of the Patapsco Valley and the Thomas Viaduct. Due to the decline in train travel the Relay Station was closed in 1938 after 108 years of continuous service.” (Submitted on September 14, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 7,067 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2, 3. submitted on September 12, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4. submitted on February 28, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 3, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 8. submitted on June 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 9. submitted on May 10, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.