Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Taylor Brethren Church
During the 1880s, many Czech Protestant immigrants who settled in the Taylor area were members of the Unity of the Brethren, founded in 1457 by followers of the Czech reformer and martyr Jan Hus. These local Brethren found it difficult to worship in area Protestant churches because of the language barrier – most conducted services in German or English. As a result, the Czech immigrants joined together to revive practices of the Unity of the Brethren and worship in their native language.
The Rev. Henry Juren of Fayetteville held Taylor’s first Czech Protestant service in 1892. As more Czech Protestant immigrants arrived in Central Texas, more Brethren groups formed, served by traveling ministers. Among those was the Taylor Brethren Church, formally organized in 1895. The Rev. Antonin Motycka became the church’s first pastor. Three years later, the Brethren church began using space in the West Taylor Lutheran Church building at this site. In June 1902, the Brethren congregation purchased the property.
The church continued holding worship services in the Czech language until 1967. Today, the congregation recognizes
Taylor Brethren Church has played a vital role in the cultural heritage of the community it serves. Throughout the congregation’s long history members have continued to worship at this site and to follow the Protestant emphasis and doctrines established by its founders, who came to Texas seeking religious freedom and independence.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13290.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1902.
Location. 30° 34.394′ N, 97° 25.719′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 710 Sloan St, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Doak Pavilion Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Booth House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wedemeyer Hospital Site (approx. 0.6 miles away); Doak Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tucker-Smith House (approx. ¾ mile away); St. James Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Tenth Street United Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Taylor Public Schools (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,055 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 7, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on August 31, 2019, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.