Glen Allen in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The RF&P purchased its first modern, all steel cabooses in 1970 from the International Car Company in Kenton, Ohio for $29,741. Shortly thereafter, Southern Iron and Equipment of Atlantic, Georgia built additional cabooses numbered 921 through 923 and 931 through 933.
The first three cars from the International Car Company were numbered 901 through 903. The design included many new safety features including improved entry steps, glass windows with screens, hand brakes, adjustable high back seats, and electric lights. This car, No. 904, built in 1974, was part of the second series that ran through No. 907. The earliest steam-era cabooses were painted bright vermillion enamel. No. 904 caboose was painted blue with yellow trim and white lettering.
The caboose provided train crew with a shelter at the rear of the train. From here they could exit the train for switching or to protect the rear of the train when stopped. They also
The Commonwealth of Virginia required a caboose on all freight trains operating in the State until 1988. The Virginia Caboose law was repealed that year no longer requiring the use of cabooses and eventually a number of them went completely out-of-service.
In 1956, a special train consisting of fourteen cabooses and two passenger trains operated for fathers and sons between Richmond and Quantico Marine base. The Marine Corps provided the sons and their fathers a tour of the base and a 1unch in the mess hail before returning to Richmond.
Erected by County of Henrico.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1904.
Location. 37° 40.577′ N, 77° 30.555′ W. Marker is in Glen Allen, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of RF&P Drive and Meadow Farm Drive. This marker is located in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3600 Mountain Road, Glen Allen VA 23060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad Company (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); U.S. Railway Post Office Car (about 700 feet away); Steel Coach (about 700 feet away); Box Car (approx. Ό mile away); Meadow Farm (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Meadow Farm (approx. half a mile away); Sheppard and Baker's Grant (approx. 0.6 miles away); Glen Allen Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Allen.
More about this marker. On the left is a schematic of Caboose Car No. 951. On the right is a photo of RF&P Caboose Car No. 905.
Also see . . . Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad Historical Society, Inc. (Submitted on December 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,299 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.