Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Central Presbyterian Church

 
 
Central Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, September 30, 2007
1. Central Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  

This congregation traces its roots to October 13, 1839, when Austin’s first Presbyterian worship service was held at Bullock’s Hotel. Present that day was builder Abner Cook, elder in the first Presbyterian church organized in Austin. He helped acquire this property for the Presbyterian Church (South) following a post-Civil War split in the church. A sanctuary was completed on the site in 1874.

This congregation was known in later years as Southern Presbyterian Church, the Free Presbyterian Church, First Southern Presbyterian Church, and Central Presbyterian Church. It has counted among its members many individuals important in the life of the denomination and the City of Austin, including Gov. Francis R. Lubbock; William Sidney Porter (O. Henry); A.N. and Jane Y. McCallum; Dr. George Clark and Rebecca Kilgore Stuart Red; and U.S. Attorney General Thomas Watt Gregory. The Rev. Richmond Kelley Smoot played an important role in the national denomination and in the development of the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.

This congregation was instrumental in organizing five Presbyterian churches in Austin. It continues
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
a program of ministry, outreach, and cultural events.
 
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13928.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1896.
 
Location. 30° 16.17′ N, 97° 44.416′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Downtown Austin. Marker is on East 8th Street west of San Jacinto Boulevard, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 E 8th Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint David’s Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Offices Of The War Department And The Adjutant General (about 600 feet away); Paramount Theatre (about 600 feet away); Stephen F. Austin Hotel (about 600 feet away); Driskill Hotel (about 600 feet away); M.M. Long’s Livery Stable and Opera House (about 700 feet away); Saint Mary’s Cathedral (about 700 feet away); Swedish Consulate and Swante Palm Library (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Central Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, September 30, 2007
2. Central Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 806 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25633

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024