Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fredericksburg United Methodist Church

 
 
Fredericksburg United Methodist Church Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., September 15, 2007
1. Fredericksburg United Methodist Church Markers
Inscription.  
This church sanctuary was built in 1882, the fifth building to be used by the congregation, and the second on this site. Additions were constructed in 1912, 1924, 1951, and 1989. The reverend John Kobler, an early leader who raised funds for the church and bequeathed his home to serve as the parsonage, died in 1843 and is buried, with his wife, under the church. The congregation was officially constituted in 1802 when the first minister, the Reverend John Pitts, was appointed. Methodist meetings had been held here as early as 1800.

(upper marker)
Historical Fredericksburg Foundation
Fredericksburg United Methodist Church
1882
Built by
Fredericksburg Methodist Episcopal Church South

 
Erected by Historical Fredericksburg Foundation. (Marker Number 20.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 38° 18.079′ N, 77° 27.584′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is on Hanover Street, 0 miles west of Princess Anne Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 308 Hanover St, Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Physician's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Fredericksburg City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Corporation Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); 401 Hanover Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Vast Hospital (about 300 feet away); The Court House (about 300 feet away); In Memory of Clara Barton (about 300 feet away); A Sacked and Gutted Town (about 300 feet away); War Comes to Fredericksburg (about 300 feet away); 1910 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
Regarding Fredericksburg United Methodist Church. The Church has served the local community and surrounding counties for over 200 years.

Methodism in Fredericksburg was formally constituted in April, 1802 as a station in the Baltimore Conference. Its first location was on George Street to the rear of what is today the Heilig-Meyers Furniture Company. After a rocky start, it began to grow in the 1820s when John Kobler, a retired Methodist minister, and his wife, Mary, became members. Inspired by the lay leadership of Kobler, the Church
Fredericksburg United Methodist Church Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., September 15, 2007
2. Fredericksburg United Methodist Church Markers
outgrew its small frame building, and in 1842, built a new brick edifice on Hanover Street at the location it occupies today. Much beloved and revered, Kobler’s remains were interred under the pulpit after his death in 1843. His wife, Mary, joined him in 1855. In her will she left their home on Hanover Street built by her husband, John, to the Church to be used as a parsonage.

In 1848, the congregation split over the slavery issue and a group left to join the newly formed Methodist Episcopal Church, South. They constructed a new Church at the corner of George and Charles Streets where Fredericksburg Savings and Loan is today. Unlike the brick building on Hanover Street, the Southern Church survived the Civil War unscathed. When the two congregations reunited after the War as part of the MEC, South, they worshipped in the Southern Church until 1882. Needing more room, they tore down the war-damaged 1842 structure and constructed on its site in 1882 a new Gothic church which the congregation still uses today.

Now, in the twenty-first century, the congregation has increased six fold and numerous additions to the original sanctuary have been made. The last addition in 1989 was by far the largest and was completed at a cost of a little over one million dollars. In 1963, it became the first Methodist Church in Virginia in modern times to become integrated.
 
Fredericksburg United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., September 15, 2007
3. Fredericksburg United Methodist Church
Photo taken from the corner of Hanover and Princess Anne Streets, looking Southwest.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,946 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 18, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2566

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024