Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sweden native Sven Axel Philquist, local district clerk and later clerk of the Texas Supreme Court, hired Swedish builder F. Oscar Blomquist to build this family home in 1912. Following several subsequent owners, grocer Sam Wood purchased the house in 1943; it remained in the Wood family for more than 50 years. Today, the home exhibits its original detailing as a transitional hybrid, with influences of the Queen Anne, colonial revival and craftsman styles. The interior features an inglenook, and the exterior details include paired box columns, tripartite window groupings, dormers and gables.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2003
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15196.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 30° 18.162′ N, 97° 43.773′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Avenue G north of East 40th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Williams-Weigl House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Shipe House (about 800 feet away); Kopperl House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hodnette House (approx. ¼ mile away); Hyde Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Elisabet Ney (approx. 0.3 miles away); Texas Confederate Woman's Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elvira T. Manor Davis House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 834 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.