Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Alabama native Emerson Monroe Scarbrough (1846-1925) came to Texas following service in the Civil War and settled in Milam County, where he was a successful merchant. He opened a branch of his business, Scarbrough and Hicks, on Congress Avenue in 1893, moving one block north in 1894. In 1910, on this adjacent, prominent corner, he completed Austin’s first skyscraper. His new building was designed in the Chicago style by Fort Worth architects Sanguinet and Staats. It was enlarged and redesigned with Art Deco elements in 1930-31 by Wyatt C. Hedrick, Inc. and Edwin Kreisle. An early leader in modern merchandising, Scarbrough’s closed this downtown location in 1983.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12733.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
Location. 30° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Littlefield Building (within shouting distance of this marker); O. Henry Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of John Bremond & Company (about 400 feet away); Sixth Street (about 400 feet away); Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Building (about 500 feet away); Hotel Provident and Heierman Building (about 500 feet away); Stephen F. Austin Hotel (about 500 feet away); Norwood Tower (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 683 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.