Downtown Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Original Site of First Methodist Church of Austin
Established in 1840 by the Rev. John Haynie (1786-1860), the First Methodist Church was Austin’s second Protestant congregation. Services were held in temporary quarters until members erected their first meeting house in 1847 at this site, then the corner of Cedar Street and Congress Avenue. The Rev. Homer S. Thrall (1819-1894) was Pastor when the small frame church was built. Thirty-five doctors from around the state met here January 17-19, 1853, to organize the Texas Medical Association. In 1854 the Methodists moved to a new brick church on the corner of Brazos and Mulberry (now 10th) street.
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11783.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1853.
Location. 30° 15.98′ N, 97° 44.596′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Downtown Austin. Marker is at the intersection of Congress Avenue and East 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on Congress Avenue. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Provident and Heierman Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); H&TC and I&GN Depots (about 500 feet away); Scarbrough Building (about 600 feet away); Site of John Bremond & Company (about 700 feet away); Littlefield Building (about 700 feet away); Sixth Street (about 700 feet away); O. Henry Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . First United Methodist Church of Austin. (Submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 786 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on December 23, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.