Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Radkey House
A typical post-Civil War Austin dwelling, built about 1870 two blocks from the State Capitol for merchant and metalsmith Bernard Radkey (1846-83) and his wife, Mary Cummings Radkey (1851-96). Structure is of cypress wood. Radkey served as a city alderman (councilman) until just prior to his early death. Heirs enlarged and occupied the home until 1973. It was moved here and restored in 1974 by the Franklin Savings and Loan Association.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15473.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 30° 18.536′ N, 97° 45.059′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3720 Jefferson St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seiders Oaks (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camp Mabry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Major John B. Jones (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Steele (approx. 0.6 miles away); Adjutants GeneralTexas in the Civil War (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jacob Leser House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Splitrock (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 920 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 10, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.