Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Tucson Old Walled City
by the Spanish Government
as a Presidio.
Became part of U.S. after
Gadsden Purchase 1853
Erected 1936 by The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR).
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1776.
Location. 32° 13.377′ N, 110° 58.503′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker is on West Alameda Street near North Main Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 255 West Alameda, Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Padre-Eusebio-Francisco-Kino, S.J. (a few steps from this marker); Alameda Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward Nye Fish House (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Avenue Southwest Corner of the Presidio (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Presbyterian Church in Tucson (within shouting distance of this marker); Hiram S. Stevens House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
More about this marker. This information is from The DAR Tucson Chapter web site
January 16, 1937: Two copper plaques were dedicated. "Tucson, Old-Walled City, founded by the Spanish Government as a Presidio, Became part of the United States 1854."
In November 1982, one of the copper markers was stolen. It was returned to the Chapter Regent on April 8, 1984, without an explanation, thrown into her garage, wrapped in a bedsheet. The chapter made arrangements to have it mounted in stone and dedicated in El Presidio Park, near an area where the side gate to the wall would have been. It remains there today, surrounded by the lovely Sunset Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 12, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,459 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.