Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
S. E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson
This disc marks the southeast corner of the old adobe wall that protected Tucson from the Indians in the early days - prior to 1845
Moved to this location in 1955
Erected 1922 by Tucson Chapter – Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Military • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Arizona, The Presidio Trail, and the Daughters of the American Revolution series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 32° 13.37′ N, 110° 58.379′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker can be reached from North Church Avenue. This marker is on the floor of the Assessor's Office inside the Pima County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 North Church Avenue, Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pima County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Convent Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Pennington Footbridge Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza de las Armas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Allande Footbridge (about 300 feet away); Commemorating the Raising of the First American Flag within the Walled City of Tucson (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
Regarding S. E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson. In 1922 the Tucson chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution placed a granite boulder marked with the caption "South-East corner of the Old Adobe Wall that surrounded Tucson prior to 1845."
In 1926 the DAR placed three more markers to identify the other three corners of the original Tucson Presidio.
In 1930 the original granite boulder from 1922 was moved due to construction. It was lost, but a brass plaque was placed, 1955, on the floor of the Assessor's Office to mark the spot where the southeast corner was.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,289 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.