Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
J.P. Schneider Store
In the mid-1860s, shortly after the Civil War, Jacob Peter “Jake” Schneider (1852-1925) began working in William Brueggerhoff’s general mercantile store, and part-time as a legislative page in the Capitol. About 1870, he and his mother, Margarita Schneider, opened a store on the corner across the street (north). Brueggerhoff helped stock the enterprise in payment of a debt. In 1873, as the business expanded, Schneider built this two-story brick structure, and converted the older building into storage space, called the “Flour House”. The Schneider residence was also across the street.
The basement of the Schneider store contained meats, vats of wine and whiskey, and molding cheeses, and the upper two stories housed large stocks of food and clothing. Schneider also operated a wagon yard south and west of the store, complete with two camp houses for travelers. After Schneider’s death the store was managed by a son, F. Ralph Schneider, who added a saloon in the rear of the building after the repeal of Prohibition in 1933. Business operations ceased in 1935, and the structure has since housed electrical and
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6450.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 30° 15.914′ N, 97° 44.871′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of West 2nd Street and Guadalupe Street, on the right when traveling east on West 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 W 2nd Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Austin City Limits (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Margaret Moser Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); H&TC and I&GN Depots (approx. ¼ mile away); Congress Avenue (approx. ¼ mile away); Shoal Creek (approx. ¼ mile away); Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Original Site of First Methodist Church of Austin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Claudia Taylor Johnson Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 970 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.