Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Building

 
 
Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 9, 2007
1. Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Building Marker
Inscription.  

Veteran Travis County official and historian Frank Brown (1833-1913) erected this structure in 1886. Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Company bought and restyled the building in 1898. Architect A.O. Watson designed the ornate façade. Previously in rented quarters at various sites, S.T.&T. occupied this as the city’s first telephone building. The John L. Martin family owned the structure from 1922 to 1976.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14090.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
 
Location. 30° 16.001′ N, 97° 44.611′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Congress Avenue near West 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 Congress Avenue, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Site of First Methodist Church of Austin (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Provident and Heierman Building
Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 9, 2007
2. Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Building and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scarbrough Building (about 500 feet away); H&TC and I&GN Depots (about 500 feet away); Littlefield Building (about 600 feet away); Site of John Bremond & Company (about 700 feet away); O. Henry Hall (about 700 feet away); Sixth Street (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 729 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=26544

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2021