Bethlehem in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Continental Army Honored Dead
of the soldiers of the
who suffered and died in this
building used as a military hospital
Dec. 1776 to April 1777 and
Sept. 1777 to April 1778
Erected 1897 by Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the Revolution.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Heroes • Military • Notable Buildings • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1777.
Location. 40° 37.116′ N, 75° 22.917′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker is on the wall near the southeast corner of the Brethren's House, about 75 feet from the intersection of Main and Church Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bethlehem PA 18018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brethren's House (a few steps from this marker); John Frederick Wolle (a few steps from this marker); West Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Moravian Church Moravian Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Gemeinhaus (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gemein Haus (about 300 feet away); Pottery (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethlehem.
Regarding Continental Army Honored Dead. "The tranquil, isolated lifestyle of the Moravians in Bethlehem was occasionally interrupted and eventually altered permanently. During the American Revolution a temporary hospital was established there for the wounded from battles at Morristown, New Jersey, and Brandywine Creek. British prisoners were housed in Bethlehem for several months during the war." (from the National Park Service lesson plan that can be found at the link below).
Also see . . . Brethren's House Floor Plan. (Submitted on February 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,026 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on January 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 5. submitted on February 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.